Welcome to the advanced topics in creating websites component of our computer skills program.
The topics below explore specific areas of interest. The first eight lessons are in a stepwise order: based on how to create a website like denversistercities.org/takayama/. The labs then follow a parallel order in building a mythical, but similar, website.
Later lessons are simply topics I've learned about or gotten interested in, usually probing deeper in to some topic already discussed in these courses, but sometimes I go off in a whole new direction.
I regularly add lessons to this course, and enrolled students will get emails informing them of newly available lessons.
If there are topics of particular interest to you, let me know and I'll see if I can work up a lesson.
1. Layout and design
Logo and title placement
Can I use site
Exercise: download files, build home page
2. Backgrounds I: colors (solids and gradients)
3. Backgrounds II: pictures and patterns
4. Navigation I: embedded links and link boxes
5. Navigation II: horizontal bar
6. Server Side Includes: reusing code, and more
7. Processing images
8. Common Gateway Interface and an introduction to PHP